Working Title: Graduate Services Technician
Classification Title: Administrative Support Coordinator I
Priority Application Deadline (Posting will remain open until filled): Sunday, November 20, 2022 at 11:55 p.m.
Eligible on-campus applicants in California State University Employees Union (CSUEU) Bargaining Units 2,5,7, and 9 will be given first consideration in the recruitment.
Under the lead work direction Associate Dean of Graduate Studies and receiving daily direction from the unit leads Student Support Professional (SSP) in Graduate Services in the Office of Graduate Studies, the ASC I is responsible for a wide variety of services while maintaining a high level of accuracy and attention to detail. The ASC I reviews forms for completeness, enters data into CMS/OnBase/Qualtrics, calculates grade point averages, codes transcripts and admission applications, and serves students in an informational capacity by interpreting and answering questions in the Office of Graduate Studies, on the telephone, via email and at events. The position provides customer service to students, families, and other constituents. In addition, the incumbent will serve as Front Counter staff and support the Graduate Degree Services and other units related to graduate education by inputting data and processing forms, providing information on services, distributing recruitment materials, assisting with presentations, and working to plan and host events sponsored by the Office of Graduate Studies.
FLSA: Non-exempt (eligible for overtime compensation under the Fair Labor Standards Act) This position is benefits-eligible.
CSU Classification Salary Range: $3,505 - $5,508 per month
Hiring Range: $3,505 - $4,005 per month
Recruitment Type: Regular (probationary)
Work Hours: M-F 8 am - 5 pm. Not eligible for telework.
The Office of Graduate Studies, in partnership with the other colleges and departments at the university, provides leadership for the advancement of graduate education at Sacramento State. Graduate Studies supports the development and vibrancy of quality graduate programs, and serves the scholarly and professional needs of graduate students at the university and into their careers. Our work is guided by our core values of excellence, integrity, equity, and service.
The Graduate Center supports students along the entire process of the graduate student experience at Sac State; from undergraduates interested in graduate study to prospective students applying through graduation and all the steps in between.
This position requires a fully functional knowledge of and skill in standard office procedures and practices, as well as an ability to understand and operate in a variety of organizational structures. Additionally, incumbents are expected to have a thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling, and punctuation and be able to clearly communicate orally and in writing. This position also requires a knowledge of business mathematics, including calculations using decimals, working with measures of central tendencies, and ability to read charts and graphs. The ability to use and quickly learn new office support technology systems and software packages is also a prerequisite.
These entry qualifications would normally be obtained through a high school program, technical/vocational program, or their equivalents combined with several years of related office work experience.
1. High school diploma or equivalent
2. Experience using personal computers
3. Documented knowledge and ability to operate personal computers with proficiency in Microsoft Office
(Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
4. Experience entering data and reviewing documents
5. Experience providing customer service via email, telephone, and in-person
6. Knowledge of effective customer service techniques and practices
7. Knowledge of graduate admission rules and regulations, FERPA, and university policies.
8. Knowledge of or ability to learn CMS student record system, OnBase document imaging, and workflow processes
9. Demonstrated ability to organize and coordinate work within schedule constraints and handle emergent processing requirements in a timely manner.
10. Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing, to include writing and preparing memorandums, letters, and other official correspondence.
11. Demonstrated ability to monitor important and complex processes concurrently.
12. Good organizational skills, attention to detail, and flexibility
13. Positive interpersonal skills
14. Good verbal and written communication skills
15. Ability to efficiently enter high volumes of data
16. Ability to coordinate and implement assignments in order to meet deadlines
17. Ability to provide high-level customer service under stressful situations
18. Ability to interact with a diverse group of individuals from varied backgrounds
19. Ability to review, analyze, formulate, and follow through with assignments
20. Ability to maintain confidentiality of work-related information and materials
21. Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships
22. Ability to work in a fast-paced and high-volume department involving contact with students*, families, and other constituents regarding the admissions process
Conditions of Employment
- Ability to pass a background check
23. Associate degree from a regionally accredited institution
24. At least four years of experience entering data, reviewing documents, and providing customer service
25. At least three years in student services or admissions and records in a higher education environment
26. At least three years of experience using CMS student information system or a similar system for managing student records
Documents Needed to Apply
Resume and cover letter. Failure to upload these documents to the online application may result in disqualification.
About Sac State
Sacramento State is located in the heart of California’s capital city, five miles from State Capitol. The lush, 300-acre campus is situated along the American River, close to numerous bike trails and other recreational areas. Sacramento, also known as the “Farm-to-Fork Capital,” is one of the most ethnically diverse and livable cities in the country, with a population of half of a million. Sacramento State’s 31,000 students come not only from the Greater Sacramento Region, but also from across the state, country, and world. Our 1,800 faculty and 1,500 staff are committed to meeting our mission: “As California’s capital university, we transform lives by preparing students for leadership, service, and success. Sacramento State will be a recognized leader in education, innovation, and engagement.” As the regional hub of higher education, Sac State is dedicated to student success, diversity, equity and inclusion, community engagement, philanthropy, and campus safety.
As evidenced by the values embedded in our Hornet Honor Code, Sacramento State is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all faculty, staff, students, and guests are welcome and valued. Our commitment is more than simply ensuring that our campus is free from bias and discrimination, but is one devoted to celebrating many diverse identities, life experiences, and perspectives that enrich our community, teaching and learning.
To learn more about why you should join the Hornet Family, please visit the Why Sac State? page.
Background Check Disclaimer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position. One variation of background check required could be a LiveScan screening, which involves submitting fingerprints at a certified LiveScan Service Center.
COVID-19 Vaccine Certification Information:
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to email@example.com
Out of State Employment Policy
Sacramento State University, as part of the CSU system, is a State of California Employer. As such, the University requires all employees (up)on date of hire to reside in the State of California.
As of January 1, 2022 the CSU Out-of-State Employment Policy prohibits the hiring of employees to perform CSU-related work outside the state of California.
Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the current Annual Security Report (ASR) is available for viewing at https://www.csus.edu/clery .
The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and sexual assault prevention information, and drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery Act crimes for Sacramento State for the last three (3) calendar years. Paper copies are available upon request at the Police Service Center located in the University Union.
Selected candidate must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.. California State University, Sacramento is a sponsoring agency (i.e. H-1-B Visa).
Note to Applicants:
Possession of the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an interview unless required by collective bargaining agreement.