Working Title: Accounting Operations Manager
Classification Title: Administrator I
Priority Application Deadline (Posting will remain open until filled): Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 11:55 p.m.
Under the general direction of the Senior Director of Accounting Services, the Accounting Operations Manager is responsible for performing a variety of accounting and financial reporting duties in support of the Accounting Services department. The incumbent plays a pivotal role in managing the monthly fiscal close process for the University as well as providing professional level support for other complex accounting projects. This position analyzes, interprets, compiles and integrates complex financial information, prepares periodic internal and external reports ensuring that financial information is recorded accurately and appropriately. The incumbent is responsible for supervision of several professional level accounting staff whose responsibilities include producing detailed transaction analysis and various financial reconciliations. This position will also assist with audit coordination for audits involving the Accounting Services department (examples include; but are not limited to, GAAP, NCAA, and Single Audit).
CSU Classification Salary Range: $3,750 - $10,417 per month
Hiring Range: Depending on qualifications, not expected to exceed $7,800 per month
Recruitment Type: Regular (At-Will)
Work Hours: M-F, 8 am - 5 pm, with other hours as required.
Accounting Services is responsible for Sacramento State’s financial record keeping, ensuring that the University operates in compliance with standard accounting and regulatory practices.
The staff processes comprehensive, accurate and timely financial information for reporting and management decision making, and conducts financial transactions such as expenditure transfers, chargebacks, cost recovery and assignment of General Ledger chart strings.
- Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a major in accounting, business administration, finance or a closely related field OR a combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Must have ability to interpret and apply GASB and GAAP standards, pronouncements, principles and policies.
- Must be able to work independently, be self motivated, highly productive and a problem solver
- Requires the ability to change priorities when needed and meet overlapping deadlines
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment
- Ability to interpret and apply federal, state, and local laws; and organizational policies and procedures associated with accounting processes
- Experience working with internal and external auditors, and resolving audit findings identified
- Ability to analyze complex data, and develop and maintain complex statistical and management reports in support of accounting functions
- Ability to provide functional leadership related to system implementations, interfaces and upgrades to a computerized financial system
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact effectively with the University community and people from diverse backgrounds
- Advanced experience in Microsoft Excel
- Experience with additional Microsoft Office products including Word, PowerPoint, Outlook Calendar and Email, TEAMS
- Experience managing professional financial staff by training and evaluating their productivity and performance; ability to take corrective action
- Excellent leadership, collaboration, and communication skills with a commitment to quality service.
Condition of Employment:
Ability to successfully pass a background check.
15. Five years or more of progressively responsible Accounting management experience, including overall management of complex accounting operations.
16. Bachelor degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or a closely related field.
17. Advanced certification/degree such as, CPA, CMA or MBA.
18.A minimum of five years of progressive work experience in the fields of Accounting or Financial Services in the California State University (CSU) system.
19. The ability to interpret and apply State Controllers Office and CSU Chancellor’s Office standards, pronouncements, principles and policies.
20. Knowledge of Sacramento State business processes within the following areas: General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Procurement, Billing and Receivable, Asset Management, Cashiering, Student Financials, Tax, Financial Compliance and Data Warehouse.
21. Experience managing professional financial staff in a unionized environment.
22. Experience managing hybrid work teams, including the use of video conferencing software such as Zoom or TEAMS.
Documents Needed to Apply
Resume & cover letter. Failure to upload these documents to the online application may result in disqualification.
About Sac State
Sacramento State is located in the heart of California’s capital city, five miles from State Capitol. The lush, 300-acre campus is situated along the American River, close to numerous bike trails and other recreational areas. Sacramento, also known as the “Farm-to-Fork Capital,” is one of the most ethnically diverse and livable cities in the country, with a population of half of a million. Sacramento State’s 31,000 students come not only from the Greater Sacramento Region, but also from across the state, country, and world. Our 1800 faculty and 1,500 staff are committed to meeting our mission: “As California’s capital university, we transform lives by preparing students for leadership, service, and success. Sacramento State will be a recognized leader in education, innovation, and engagement.” As the regional hub of higher education, Sac State is dedicated to student success, diversity, equity and inclusion, community engagement, philanthropy, and campus safety.
As evidenced by the values embedded in our Hornet Honor Code, Sacramento State is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all faculty, staff, students, and guests are welcome and valued. Our commitment is more than simply ensuring that our campus is free from bias and discrimination, but is one devoted to celebrating many diverse identities, life experiences, and perspectives that enrich our community, teaching and learning.
To learn more about why you should join the Hornet Family, please visit the Why Sac State? page.
Background Check Disclaimer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position.
Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the current Annual Security Report (ASR) is available for viewing at https://www.csus.edu/clery .
The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and sexual assault prevention information, and drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery Act crimes for Sacramento State for the last three (3) calendar years. Paper copies are available upon request at the Police Service Center located in the University Union.
COVID-19 Vaccine Certification Information:
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Selected candidate must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.. California State University, Sacramento is a sponsoring agency (i.e. H-1-B Visa).
Note to Applicants:
Possession of the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an interview unless required by collective bargaining agreement.
Conflict of Interest:
The duties of this position include participation in decisions that may have a material financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, the selected candidate will be required to file Conflict of Interest Form 700: Statement of Economic Interest when they first occupy the position, an on an annual basis, complete ethics training within 6 months of appointment, and attend this training every other year thereafter.