Working Title: Director of Graduate Programs - College of Business
Classification Title: Admin II
Recruitment is open until filled. Applications received by January 18, 2022 at 11:55 p.m. will receive priority review.
Anticipated appointment: Spring 2022
The Director of Graduate Programs (DGP) is responsible for the overall quality and success of graduate programs in the College of Business (COB), including self-support programs. This individual and the Associate Dean for Academic Programs (ADAP) and Associate Dean for Faculty Support (ADFS) are key members of the administrative leadership team of the COB and report directly to the Dean. The DGP works in tandem with the ADFS and ADAP, is a member of the senior COB leadership team, and reports to the Dean.
In consultation with the Dean and other COB stakeholders, the DGP works to create and maintain innovative and impactful business programs that align with the COB mission and strategic direction. The COB’s priorities include related academic technology, innovation, and impact with a focus on teaching effectiveness, academic excellence, and operational efficiency. The incumbent will be responsible for overseeing operational leadership to promote excellence in all phases of the COB’s academic activities in compliance with University policy and accreditation standards. Aligned with the COB vision and strategy, this role requires collaborative work with Department Chairs, program directors, faculty, and staff to ensure that programs address market trends and create local and global engagement. The DGP is a key participant in school-wide strategic planning and execution.
Expected to support Sacramento State’s Five Imperatives: reduce time to degree, increase campus diversity, inclusion, and equity, increase philanthropic giving, community collaboration and safety.
FLSA: MPP - This position is defined in the Management Personnel Plan (MPP) of the California State University. It is excluded from the collective bargaining process and is exempt from overtime provisions of FLSA. This position is covered by health benefits.
CSU Classification Salary Range: $4,583.00 - $13,750.00 per month
Hiring Range:to be determined
Recruitment Type: Regular (at-will)
Work Hours: Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm; other hours as required
The California State University, Sacramento – College of Business (COB) develops engaged, responsible, and inclusive leaders that enrich communities around the world. The Faculty in the COB are committed to providing the highest quality of education and serving as resources to its students. Founded in 1947, the COB offers four graduate degrees and one undergraduate degree. The COB has been accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the world leader in business school accreditation and a hallmark of excellence achieved by only 5% of colleges worldwide, since 1963. The COB is located in California’s vibrant capital city, Sacramento.
Sacramento is one of the most diverse cities in the country that boasts a Mediterranean climate with an average of 265 days of sunshine a year. Foodies love the fresh ingredients and inspired dishes of the local Farm-to-Fork movement, outdoorsy types float on the two great rivers or hike along the American River Parkway, cultural connoisseurs embrace the city’s bustling nightlife and arts events. Sacramento is also located within two hours of San Francisco, Napa Valley, and Lake Tahoe. http://www.csus.edu/cob/
1. Doctorate in a business-related discipline from a program accredited by AACSB or EQUIS or AMBA.
2. A strong record of accomplishments in the areas of teaching, research, and service that would merit appointment as a Full Professor with tenure in one academic department of the College of Business (COB)
3. Two years of experience in a leadership position with responsibility for budget and personnel (e.g. department chair, program director, or equivalent)
4. Experience with budget management (e.g. budget allocations) of state supported and self-supported programs
5. Experience in enrollment management and academic scheduling that meet the needs of graduate students – including self-support programs
6. Experience with curriculum development for graduate programs
7. Experience with program review and assessment under the AACSB standards and/or other accreditation processes (or comparable international accrediting bodies)
8. Experience with technology-supported teaching environments and pedagogical approaches, including remote locations
9. Experience handling administrative responsibilities in a higher education environment equivalent to department chair or higher
10. Experience working with other academic units, including continuing education/external programs, to assure effective utilization of faculty and staff resources to meet needs of graduate students
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
11. Demonstrated commitment to diversity and experience working within an ethnically and culturally diverse academic community
12. Evidence of ability to determine priorities, effectively manage multiple projects, and set and meet deadlines
13. Demonstrated ability to analyze and implement creative solutions to complex problems or challenges
14. Evidence of advanced interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish, maintain, and model effective working relationships with various constituencies within the college, across the university, and in the community
15. Demonstrated record of high quality written and oral communication for varied audiences
16. Demonstrated ability to work in a shared governance environment or similar organizational setting
17. Ability and success developing relationships with business organizations
Conditions of Employment
- Ability to pass background check
18. Knowledge of the most recent AACSB standards and reaffirmation of accreditation process or other accreditation processes
19. Experience working in a collective bargaining environment
20. Experience working on a large urban university or college campus
21. Record of significant and successful involvement and leadership in college and university organizations
22. Experience with international programs and international students
23. Experience managing programs at geographically-dispersed locations (e.g., satellite campuses
Documents Needed to Apply
List documents needed for this position:
2) Cover letter
3) Diversity statement
About Sac State
Sacramento State is located in the heart of California’s capital city, five miles from State Capitol. The lush, 300-acre campus is situated along the American River, close to numerous bike trails and other recreational areas. Sacramento, also known as the “Farm-to-Fork Capital,” is one of the most ethnically diverse and livable cities in the country, with a population of half of a million. Sacramento State’s 31,000 students come not only from the Greater Sacramento Region, but also from across the state, country, and world. Our 1800 faculty and 1,500 staff are committed to meeting our mission: “As California’s capital university, we transform lives by preparing students for leadership, service, and success. Sacramento State will be a recognized leader in education, innovation, and engagement.” As the regional hub of higher education, Sac State is dedicated to student success, diversity, equity and inclusion, community engagement, philanthropy, and campus safety.
As evidenced by the values embedded in our Hornet Honor Code, Sacramento State is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all faculty, staff, students, and guests are welcome and valued. Our commitment is more than simply ensuring that our campus is free from bias and discrimination, but is one devoted to celebrating many diverse identities, life experiences, and perspectives that enrich our community, teaching and learning.
To learn more about why you should join the Hornet Family, please visit the Why Sac State? page.
Background Check Disclaimer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position.
Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the current Annual Security Report (ASR) is available for viewing at https://www.csus.edu/clery .
The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and sexual assault prevention information, and drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery Act crimes for Sacramento State for the last three (3) calendar years. Paper copies are available upon request at the Police Service Center located in the University Union.
COVID-19 Vaccine Certification Information:
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to email@example.com
Selected candidate must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.. California State University, Sacramento is a sponsoring agency (i.e. H-1-B Visa).
Note to Applicants:
Possession of the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an interview unless required by collective bargaining agreement.
Conflict of Interest:
The duties of this position include participation in decisions that may have a material financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, the selected candidate will be required to file Conflict of Interest Form 700: Statement of Economic Interest when they first occupy the position, an on an annual basis, complete ethics training within 6 months of appointment, and attend this training every other year thereafter.